The curriculum at Manor Academy is split into two key stages. Key Stage 3 runs from Year 7 into Year 8, and Key Stage 4 runs from Year 9 to Year 11. Students study a wide range of subjects through Key Stage 3 and we try to encourage a good breadth of subjects as options for Key Stage 4 as well. As Manor is a church school, all pupils take Religious Studies as a GCSE. The government actively encourages schools to ensure EBacc subjects are available to all pupils. The Ebacc comprises English, mathematics, science, history or geography and a foreign language. Performance within these subjects make up 70% of key government measures, with the remaining 30% for all other subjects.
Students fulfill most of the requirements of the National Curriculum and take the full range of subjects.
All students study English (Language and Literature), Mathematics, Science, Religious Studies (personal, social and health education and citizenship), and core PE. They must also, in the majority of cases, study a Modern Foreign Language (French or German). In addition, students have access to study further optional courses. Courses are available in the following areas:
Other optional courses available are Child Development and the Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE) with Wider Key Skills.
There is also a comprehensive Foundation Learning strand of courses which are offered to students with specific requirements. Please note that the curriculum offer changes on annual basis.
In the Autumn term of Year 8, parents and students are informed about the choices available and the work to be covered in each course. Students are offered advice before any decisions are made. Students receive advice from subject teachers and an independent Careers Adviser.
Cross-curricular skills are developed throughout Key Stage 4, in ICT, economic and industrial understanding, enterprise education, environmental education and citizenship. PE and Enrichment are taught as non-accredited core subjects.
Year 7 and 8
Students are taught mainly in mixed ability forms with some setting in certain areas.
Years 9, 10 and 11
Students are divided into sets for Mathematics, English, Science, Religious Studies and Core-PE. For Option subjects, they are taught in groups according to their choice of subject and the examination level to which the subject is taught.
Please feel free to contact us if you require any further information about our Curriculum
Vice Principal: Attainment and Progress – Mr I Nariani
Email: email@example.com Phone: 01904 798722
Manor CE Academy is committed to the provision of high-quality education for all students but recognises the need to make additional provision for students who are able, gifted and talented. All students have the right to equality of opportunity; to experience teaching which allows them to move forward in their learning and to be provided with opportunities and appropriate support to meet their individual needs. We are committed to:
A gifted student is one who has the potential to excel automatically in one or more subjects such as English, Drama, Technology or Mathematics. A talented student is one who has the ability to excel in practical skills such as Sport, Leadership or Artistic Performance (Government Definition – April 2008). An able student is identified using a variety of methods such as National tests, Cognitive Ability Tests in Year 7, teacher assessment and nomination. This is a continuous whole school process.
All students are encouraged to aim for academic success. They are entered for GCSE examinations in the syllabus appropriate to their abilities. Most students will be entered for 9 or 10 subjects. Parents are informed of the entries being made on behalf of their child and have an opportunity to discuss these with the Head of Year 11 before the entries are finalised. Where appropriate, students may be encouraged to take different routes of accreditation.
Examination Subjects offered
Science triple – Physics, Chemistry & Biology
Science – Core Science
Science – Additional Science
Art and Design
Design and Technology – Product Design
Design and Technology – Textiles Technology
Design and Technology – Food Technology
Information and Communication Technology
CoPE (Certificate of Personal Effectiveness)
Wider Key Skills
BTEC Home Cooking Skills
RT @DaveLoweMusic Another stunning piece of Yr8 iPad music classwork @manorceacademy - this time Dan’s Performance Via Technology of @jesusculture song “One Thing Remains” - every note performed from scratch and arrangement is completely the student’s #amazing @AQA @MuFuInternat @MaxWheeler pic.twitter.com/ZRZa…
RT @DaveLoweMusic Had to share this - amazing original iPad composition work from Yr8 Seb - every note programmed from scratch and this is just a part of it #amazing @manorceacademy #KS3 @wemusicteachers @MaxWheeler @MusicTeachers_ #GCSEMusicIsNext pic.twitter.com/q7to…